It has been a long time since I have posted a before and after project. I get so excited to "dig in" and get to work that I often forget to take the "before" pictures. In this case, the client asked for a "before" photo, so now I have one!
Due to space constraints, this client was in search of a piece of furniture to use as a dresser and as a desk. He hoped for a place to keep his laptop and planned to place a flat screen television on top. He also wanted something that would coordinate with the other pieces in the room…"off white" and distressed.
I only had to think for a minute before I came up with the perfect piece!
This fantastic petite secretary! The beautiful lines of the serpentine drawers were a bonus. Unfortunately, this piece needed a ridiculous amount of work. Someone had disposed of the hardware…all of it…the pulls, the hinges, the escutcheon plates and the pull-out supports. Ugh! To add fuel to the fire, they began stripping the finish on the mahogany, which would mean that the red dye in the wood would come through the light colored paint I was planning to use.
I got to work hunting for the hardware I would need. Much to my surprise, I found 8 matching, vintage drawer pulls on E Bay but had purchase the specialty hinges and knobs from an online store. They were more than I had hoped to spend, but I didn't have any reclaimed hardware that would work. I cut new supports from some wood left over from another project and sanded them to fit the openings perfectly. While I waited for all of the hardware to arrive, I started coating the raw wood so that the red dye wouldn't seep through the paint. After two coats of polyurethane, I was ready to begin painting.
I made my own "chalk paint" by mixing calcium carbonate powder into the paint I purchased at the paint store. (Always use paint with a FLAT finish when doing this). Chalk paint offers a soft, clean, stroke-free finish and distresses beautifully.
After all of the repairs, replacements and painting, here is the finished product…